TOPIK General Information
All about TOPIK and preparing you for TOPIK examination
Objective of Examination
This examination aims to set a right Korean Language learning path for overseas Koreans and foreigners who do not speak Korean as their mother tongue and promote the use of Korean language. The result of evaluation can also be used for local university applications as well as employment purpose.
Overseas Koreans and foreigners who do not speak Korean as their mother tongue
- Those learning Korean language and those with intentions to apply for local universities.
- Those with intention to join/work for domestic/overseas Korean companies and public organizations.
- Koreans who study or graduated overseas.
Valid for two(2) years after the announcement of examination results
National Institute for International Education (NIIED), Ministry of Education.
Usability of examination
- University admission and academic management of foreign Korean Government Scholars.
- Local university admission for foreigners and overseas Koreans who have completed 12 years of education abroad.
- Obtaining working visa for those who want to be employed at Korean companies, and serving as a standard for selecting and managing the employees.
- Recognizing domestic practitioner license for foreigners with medical doctor qualification.
- Application for Korean Language Teaching Qualification test (level 2 and 3) and acquisition of certificate.
- Acquisition of permanent residency right.
- Application for the issuance of marriage-based immigrant visa.
※ China, etc: China(including Hong Kong), Mongolia, Taiwan, Philippines, Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia
※ The examination hour is based on local time / Candidates can apply for both TOPIK I and TOPIK II.
※ TOPIK I will be carried out during the first slot only
※ TOPIK II in China starts at 13:00.
Level and grade of examination
- Level of examination: TOPIK I, TOPIK II
- Evaluation grade: 6 grades(1st to 6th grades)
The evaluation is based on the total scores earned, and the cut-off scores by grade is as follows:
※ Based on the difficulty level before the 35th examination, TOPIK I is the basic level and TOPIK II is intermediate/advanced level.
Structure of questions1.Structure by difficulty level
2.Type of questions
- Multiple-choice question(selecting 1 answer among the 4 choices).
Short-answer question(writing part).
- Sentence completion type(short-answer): 2 questions
- Essay type (1 descriptive essay ranging from 200-300 words for intermediate level, and 1 argumentative essay ranging from 600-700 words for advanced level.
Evaluation of writing part
Type of examination paper : 2 types(type A, type B)
Evaluation standard by grade
TOPIK 2018 Application and Testing Schedule
Please view the table in landscape mode on your mobile device.
|Application Period1, Within Korea Only
(Availability: 10 Calendar Days)
|Testing Date(s)||Testing Result
|56th||Monday, December 11th, 2017 – Monday, December 18th, 2017 (18:00)||Sunday, January 14th, 2018||Thursday, February 1st, 2018||Korea Only|
|57th||Monday, January 29th, 2018 – Monday, February 5th, 2018 (18:00)||Saturday, April 14th, 2018 – Sunday, April 15th, 2018||Thursday, May 24th, 2018||Worldwide|
|58th||Monday, March 5th, 2018 – Monday, March 12th, 2018 (18:00)||Saturday, May 19th, 2018 – Sunday, May 20th, 2018||Thursday, June 28th, 2018||Worldwide|
|59th||Monday, May 21st, 2018 – Monday, May 28th, 2018 (18:00)||Sunday, July 15th, 2018||Friday, August 3rd, 2018||Worldwide|
|60th||Monday, August 6th, 2018 – Monday, August 13th, 2018 (18:00)||Saturday, October 20th, 2018 – Sunday, October 21st, 2018||Thursday, November 29th, 2018||Worldwide|
|61th||Monday, September 3rd, 2018 – Monday, September 10th, 2018 (18:00)||Saturday, November 17th, 2018 – Sunday, November 18th, 2018||Thursday, December 20th, 2018||Worldwide|